Create banner/notification when user opens Smartsheet?

I've been asked if it is possible to create a banner / notification when a user opens a Smartsheet, to inform them of some format changes or expectations since the last time they opened the sheet. I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :-)

Best Answer

• Nabil Hayek
    Nabil Hayek ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I do not think you can do that because there is no trigger in automation for launching a sheet or opening Smartsheet.

of course you can create an automation to send a notification when the data is changed/updated/added etc. so everyone is aware of the change(s).

sorry could not be of much help

Answers

• Hi Mary,

You can choose "highlight changes" option. You select the color, and new info/data/cells will be highlighted.

Hope that helps

• Mary Farmer
    Mary Farmer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Nabil - but I'm looking more for a banner message, i.e., "Please be advised that options in the drop-down selection have changed since the last time you logged on", or something similar.

• Nabil Hayek
    Nabil Hayek ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I do not think you can do that because there is no trigger in automation for launching a sheet or opening Smartsheet.

of course you can create an automation to send a notification when the data is changed/updated/added etc. so everyone is aware of the change(s).

sorry could not be of much help

• Mary Farmer
    Mary Farmer ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Nabil, for your consideration and response.

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nabil Hayek You could embed the sheet within a dashboard then add a banner at the top. Downside is the visible sheet width is restricted.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mary Farmer

I hope you're well and safe!

How many different people should see it? Do they need to acknowledge that they've seen it, or should it automatically only show once and then disappear?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mary Farmer
    Mary Farmer ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Andree,

The intent was to have every user that is shared to the Smartsheet see the banner the next time they open the sheet. No need to acknowledge. It is just a communication. The alternative, I suppose, is to send an email to everyone shared to the sheet.

Thank you

• IL
    IL

one alternative would be to create a dashboard with only that item on it as well as a banner on the dashboard. you can make the content of the sheet active for the users and the security would be the same if you put both the worksheet and the dashboard in the same workspace.