Action Tracker: single source of truth

Hello,

I'm coordinating multiple workshops e.g. Technical, Communication, Training. I'm collecting findings on multiple smartsheets (one per workshop) and associate an action per finding.

Reality is that during a Technical workshop, we have some Training findings. During a Communication workshop, we have a Technical finding and so on.

I would like to create a single source of truth for actions.

Is it possible to create a smartsheet where I can add automatically actions from multiple sheets AND/OR manually if needed?

The only turnaround that I see is to add actions only in the action tracker, all manually.

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Best Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Can you just use a report to pull the data from all of the sheets?

Otherwise, just create a workflow in each sheet which copies or move new records to the single source of truth.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lorenzo

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Can you just use a report to pull the data from all of the sheets?

Otherwise, just create a workflow in each sheet which copies or move new records to the single source of truth.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Lorenzo

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.