Blank rows added to bottom of sheet / form

Options

There is a group of about 10 rows that are all blank that are automatically being added to a sheet we have created. We do have an active form for this sheet for project requests. there is no information in any row listed. I have tried deleting them by right clicking and "delete row" and also the Row Actions to delete and they keep coming back after refreshing the page. When a new form is submitted it is above the 10 rows (ie the next form filled out will show on line 48, not 57). How do I get rid of these? they are contributing to metrics for being on the list without a status but there isnt anything to add, there is no information?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @MeghanRyan

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to remove them, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Josh Reed
    Josh Reed ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

hey @MeghanRyan

Late response but I stumbled upon your query looking for answers myself. For several trackers I've built, these 10 rows somehow insert themselves between the most recent form submission and the one prior. It is always sporadic, not every time. Additionally, sometimes it's 10 rows, sometimes 7, 3, 13, totally random. I have encouraged users to either delete these rows or keep sorting the sheet so that they at least fall to the bottom. Another option from a UX perspective is to have people work out of reports instead, which would omit blank rows.

To solve your issue with metrics (surprised no one answered you), you can simply wrap your calculation in an IF statement: =IF(IBLANK([whatever column]@row),"",your original calculation)

Alternatively if you are aggregating the values from that column via Sum or Avg.. Change to using SUMIF and AVERAGEIF where you can make the criteria NOT(ISBLANK(whatevercolumn@row)) This will say only sum, average, count this cell from this column ONLY IF it is NOT blank.

One last approach... add a checkbox column. Figure out what your most likely column to be filled out is (maybe a name or something) tell the checkbox to check itself if there is data in that column. For example: =IF(ISBLANK([Name]@row),0,1) this will check the box if the name column is not blank for this row... then for your sumif/averageif/countif use the range and criteria: [Checkbox]:[Checkbox],1 This means the formula will only aggregate rows that have the checkbox checked.

Hope this helps!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!