Hyperlinks not working for non-Smartsheet Users

Hi, I have created a sheet where I have hyperlinked many other sheets within it. When I shared the sheet with a non-Smartsheet user, they cannot click on the links. I have shared the sheets of the links as well but it is still not working.

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

When you share the sheet, are you publishing the sheet? Also, are the links behind firewalls, etc?

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• Hi Kevin,

I have published the sheets that are linked in the original sheet. I'm not sure if the links are behind firewalls, how would I tell?

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you get to the links from any device or machine or do you have to be logged into a company site/device, etc? That would imply firewall and would throw a certain error when trying to use the link. Do the users see a hyper link or just text, and if a hyperlink, what happens when they click on it or control click on it.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• Hi, this is the image I received

from the user. It shows there should be a link but it does not look the same as from my end as the admin.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Thank you for sending this. It helps.

When you enter the content, for example PN-14-12, what exactly are you putting in that cell and how are you putting it in?

You may not wish to place the contents of one of those on this post but if you can doctor it a bit and would be okay, I would like to see it, if not please describe it.

Thank you

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• Hi, I just put the project number in the cell and then I hyperlink the text to another smartsheet.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am sorry, I am not following completely. When you say you typed in the project number and then hyperlinked it to another sheet. I am not sure how you are doing that. Sounds cool but when I am in Smartsheet and highlight text in a cell and right click this is what I get:

Am I missing how you 'hyperlink' it?

Thank you

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• Hi Kevin,

See attached. When I click hyperlink, I can link to another smartsheet which is why the picture is showing the text in blue hyperlink. But the original picture I showed you was from a non-smartsheet using so it is not showing the same for them and they can't click the link to get to the other smartsheet.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, I get it now. Sorry.

So that does work and does link to the sheet if you use the

If the users are shared to the sheet you choose, it should work for them. If not, they should get a message that they don't have access and a button to request access. I am not sure how it works if you are trying the links from within a published sheet (not from within Smartsheet) - What message are the users getting or behavior and - What way are the accessing the first sheet where the links are?

Thank you

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• Orignally, they were getting a message saying they don't have access but now I have shared all sheets with them and they are still not able to get to the sheet.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is strange.

Are the accessing the first sheet through Smartsheet or are they getting to it via the published link? In other words are they logged into Smartsheet when they try the link? I don't know yet if that matters but that is the way I am doing it and it works.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• They have been accessing it through the published link. The person I've been emailing with has been logged in but other users I shared it with do not have logins.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Hyperlink to the sheet or to the published link?

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• The hyperlink is to the sheet.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the link is the the sheet, I would think they would need to login or be logged in to access the link. Try adding the link to the published link.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.