Numbering Checked Checkboxes in a Column

I have a table which looks up active people on a shift each day. Is there a formula I can use in a helper column which ranks all the checked boxes from 1-9? This is so I can use these numbers to index match all the people active on shift in another sheet.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's tough to rank, because checked checkboxes always have a "value" of 1 in Smartsheet. You'd need a RowNumber column for the sheet + two helper columns for each column you'd want to rank.

Helper column 1, "NumberToRank-Monday":

=IF(Monday@row = 0, 1000, RowNumber@row)

This says, if the box is unchecked for Monday, set this cell value to 100, otherwise set it to the RowNumber value.

Helper column 2, "Rank-Monday":

=RANKEQ([NumberToRank-Monday]@row, [NumberToRank-Monday]:[NumberToRank-Monday], 1)

The result is the lowest row number where the Monday box is checked is ranked 1, next lowest row number with a checked Monday box is 2, etc.

That's a lot of work to rank these.

Tell me more about what you're trying to do with your INDEX/MATCH, maybe there's a way to use what you already have.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!