Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Printing A Sight - printing so small that you cannot read data

Options
Lisa Devolder Babula
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Looking for some advice on printing a fairly large Sight.

I have had no issues with printing Sights that aren't much larger than what fits on your screen. Push print and that's about it.

But - when I tried to print a Sight that was much larger (scrolls down several times in order to see all of the data), it would not scale to page.

It seems to be printing as one image and very small on one single page...almost like it would not break the sight onto multiple pages.

Has anyone else ever encountered this?  How do I get this to print in a reader friendly format?  I am using Chrome.

Plus - can we please have a pdf option for the Sights?  I read multiple posts in this community requesting this feature.  I would definitely vote for this feature too!

Comments

• Lisa Devolder Babula
    Options

I think that part of the issue exists because the Sight is printing as one single object and not creating any page breaks.  Is anyone else encountering this?

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lisa,

Have you tried printing to a PDF first? 

• Lisa Devolder Babula
    Options

Yes, I did try print to pdf.  It gives the same results.....super small print because it treats the sight as one complete image that is sized to fit on one page.

I haven't figured out how to get it to print on more than one page.

I really like the Sight I created.  It's just not as useful to me if I cannot save or print on multi pages at a reasonable and readable size.

• Kara Lumley
    Options

Thank you for the feedback, Lisa and Laura. 

Printing is definitely an area that we improve on and I'm adding your comments to my "Printing Improvement Suggestions" plan.

Best,

Kara

(Smartsheet Product Manager)

• steven.reed14881
    steven.reed14881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Has anyone developed any reasonable work-arounds for this issue? I have multiple program Sights that are rolling up project data to our leadership for weekly review meetings (starting tomorrow), and the request is that we distribute a hard-copy (attachment) on Thursday afternoons prior to the Friday meeting.

Right now, the only solution that we have come up with is to 'snip' each widget and send to PDF. This does not convey the professional image that we are aspiring to (or for Smartsheet which I brought in expressly for this purpose). Any viable options would be welcome!

Steve

• I'm having the same problem. We need hard copies for our leadership and for an audit trail and all of our Sights are long and do not look good even when converted to PDF. I agree the Sight needs a page break or some way to have it extend on to other pages. Thanks!

• Adam B
    Options

I have the same issue - I've had to resort to printing each report to pdf individually (incidentally the reports do print over multiple pages correctly) and then stitch together in a single pdf...

• Hi 

Do you have any update for printing on a larger scale yet?  Our company could really do with this functionality as we have developed the sights for our customers and they need a print out for their records.

Kind regards

• Shannon Green
    Options

We are having the same issue. Has there been any progress on rectifying this issue at all? Or a work-around that doesn't involve snipping piece by piece?

• Carissa W
    Options

Same here - any update on if this has been resolved? 

• Lawrence Ough
    Options

When I try to print or create a PDF of a Dashboard, the content tries to print to one page only and is shrunken and aligned to the left side of the page. Sheets and reports allow you to spread content to the width of the printed page, but dashboards does not have this feature. Why is this. I have seen in a few places on this site that this issue has been around for a long time. Is there a solution that I just cannot find int he Help files, or is this an unavoidable feature. If there is no solution then when will there be, as this is a major shortcoming and defeats any ability to share dashboards outside of viewing it online. My executives need a file or print out offline.

Regards,

Lawrence Ough

• Stephen Andreasen
    Options

I have this same issue where we report 19 different work streams on a weekly basis and having this scaled into a single page just doesn't work for our needs. Memorializing status updates is commonplace with project management and there should be support for this to render as multiple pages. Otherwise I have to take 19 different screenshots every week to capture what happened previously as part of tracking project history. The underlying infrastructure seems to already be present to allow for printing on a single PDF page so it's just modifying the code to break across multiple pages. Printing as multiple pages can already be done with sheets and reports so please let's make this consistent across the board and free ourselves from more admin work smiley

• Carolyn Stone
    Carolyn Stone ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, 

We are also trying to print sights into PDF format for leadership review and distribution and scaling is an issue.  Another vote to fix this, or if anyone has less manual workarounds than snips it would be great to hear about what you do.

Thanks, Carolyn

• Andrew Watson
    Options

This is also an issue for me.  I thought a smartsheet dashboard would be a good platform to produce data for our monthly board pack, however the scale is an issue due to the amount of data on it.  surely it is not that hard to fix, please Smartsheet. indecision

• JPodlucky
    Options

Has anyone come across a way of resolving the issue of printing dashboards/sights? I love the feature but it would be very beneficial to print out as the information only sticks to one page/shrinks. 

Image.JPG

This discussion has been closed.