Formula to assign a contact on all rows of main parent cell

Options

Hello!

I want to assign all rows under the main parent cell (has multiple sub parent cells within) the contact that we inputted into the main parent row. When tasks are added within the project, I want it to auto assign that row. Can anyone help me with a formula for this?

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Gaby Colvis

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using a Workflow with the Assign People Action?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kelly Drake
    Kelly Drake Overachievers Alumni
    Options

I would recommend putting this into two columns so that you can leverage a column formula to autopopulate. Otherwise, you'd have to copy/paste the formula into the children rows which would be about the same amount of work as just entering in the names into the field.

Or could you use the Assign a Person automation if you had a column that could be leveraged as a condition in the workflow. (This could require one workflow per person/contact though so this could be way more work to build out than necessary.)

If you leverage 2 columns for this - for the purpose of the formula, I'll use Lead and Project Task as the column for the task names. Also, I would assume that Lead is blank in the the children rows and then put this formula in the Assigned To column as a column formula.

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Project Task]@row)) = 0, Lead@row, IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Project Task]@row)) > 0, INDEX(ANCESTORS(Lead@row), 1), "tbd"))

Kelly Drake (she/her/hers)

STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY| business optimization product manager

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!