Send alert if one column is empty

Options

we have managers to fill this out, but they keep leaving empty columns. is there anyway Smartsheet wont allow them to continue to the next field until one is met?

Answers

• Christian Graf
    Christian Graf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I do not think there is a way to block them from continuing to the next field. However, you can do conditional formatting to highlight any blank cells in Red. That would be a visual indicator that they are missing something. Conditional formatting is accessed by the highlighted button on the ribbon.

If you click the button and click add new rule, you can add:

If Submitted By is blank then apply this format to the Submitted By Column. Then change the abcde color box to red by clicking on the abcde, and changing the background color to red.

You could then do the same thing for your Shift Submitted Column.

Hope this helps.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @nroberson31

I hope you're well and safe!

There isn't a way to stop them from not filling it out, but you could use conditional formatting combined with a formula that would show a message as long as they've not filled everything out or guide them to showing the next column they should fill out.

You could also have a Workflow send them an Alert or Update Request until everything has been filled out as needed.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ashley Heath
    Options

Andree -- can you walk through the steps on how to do the following -- You could also have a Workflow send them an Alert or Update Request until everything has been filled out as needed

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!