What is driving the population of the individuals in the mentions such as conversations?

Example: I have a user that I've shared the Smartsheets page (Risks, Issues, Action Items). I've also included that individual as an assigned to (Name & Email address which I populated and can now select on other assigned items as needed) field within the sheet. However, when I try to view the individual in my @ drop down inside conversations, I cannot view them. I have instead mentioned their entire email address attempting to notify them. Please provide direction for how this relationship in the dropdown is established. I read through the help articles on Conversations and Mentions and it doesn't speak to this issue or why individuals may not be available. Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Andrew Laney
    Andrew Laney ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Removing and adding the users back to the sheets did not work. I have these users set up in my Smartsheet contacts (they aren't registered Smartsheet users). I can share sheets to them, but the @mentions do not work. I guess I'll have to work around with @fullemailaddress. Seems Smartsheets is pulling that address list from the Members of Smartsheet vs. adding the users that have been shared the sheet or in My Smartsheets Contacts address listing. If they get the notifications with the @fullemailaddress then I'll just work around with that method.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrew Laney

In my testing, users explicitly shared to the sheet appear in the list when you click the @ symbol in the conversations pane. It shouldn't even matter if the user has a Smartsheet account or anything.

I own a test sheet that was only shared with my personal email address (free account I use to test unlicensed access/capabilities). When I clicked on @, only my work account (the sheet owner) and my personal address showed up. I unshared the sheet from my personal account, saved and refreshed, and it no longer showed up when I clicked @. I then shared the sheet to my son's gmail address (he doesn't have a Smartsheet account), saved and refreshed, and now his address shows up when I click @.

Is there anything strange about that email address you're trying to see there? If you can, share some screenshots (remove any sensitive info.)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Let me try to remove the individual from sheet access and add them back to see if that resolves the problem. They are an editor (cannot - share) already.

• Andrew Laney
    Andrew Laney ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Removing and adding the users back to the sheets did not work. I have these users set up in my Smartsheet contacts (they aren't registered Smartsheet users). I can share sheets to them, but the @mentions do not work. I guess I'll have to work around with @fullemailaddress. Seems Smartsheets is pulling that address list from the Members of Smartsheet vs. adding the users that have been shared the sheet or in My Smartsheets Contacts address listing. If they get the notifications with the @fullemailaddress then I'll just work around with that method.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrew Laney

Do you know what type of Smartsheet plan you are on? I know that can make a difference with some of the functionality. I searched high and low but could not find anything on this list other than that it should include all users shared to the sheet.

Other than that, you might want to open a support ticket.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!