How can I transfer my calculated data onto the duration column if there are parent rows?

Tvl_97
Tvl_97 ✭✭
edited 05/03/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hey everyone, I'm new to smartsheet and I have a question regarding the project sheet.

Attached is a screenshot of my current data.

I have over 1200 data and they are already seperated by parent-child relationship.

Each task has a production score and the parent's score is calculated by summing up all of the children's score.

We have a weekly quota of 270000 production score a week (or 54000 daily), and I calculated how long it would take to complete the task by taking the row's production score and dividing it by the quota. This gives the results as shown in column11, which are the duration of each task daily.

I would like to know if there's a way to transfer the data from column11 to the duration column in a fast way because if I copy paste the entire column, there is the following error for parent rows: "Because this row has sub-tasks, this cell is a summary value and cannot be edited directly."

I have 200+ parent rows, so it will take a while to copy paste all the children rows manually into the duration column.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Tvl_97

What I would do in this instance is use a Helper Column to identify if a row is a Child Row or not:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row)) > 0, 1, 0)

You can make this a Column Formula, then you can use this column to set up a Filter on your sheet, hiding all of the Parent Rows:

Then once the filter is applied, you will only have Child Rows so you can Copy/Paste across all your data:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Tvl_97

What I would do in this instance is use a Helper Column to identify if a row is a Child Row or not:

=IF(COUNT(ANCESTORS([Task Name]@row)) > 0, 1, 0)

You can make this a Column Formula, then you can use this column to set up a Filter on your sheet, hiding all of the Parent Rows:

Then once the filter is applied, you will only have Child Rows so you can Copy/Paste across all your data:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now