Auto scheduling tasks/recurring tasks NOT WORKFLOW!

I can see "recurring tasks" has been asked for by the community for years, but I can't see it has ever been developed, I'm hoping it has and I just can't find it.

I want to be able to automate the following: A bi-monthly task that must take place 2 months after the previous task, so that if task one gets moved, all following tasks automatically move so that they are 2 (4, 6, 8 etc) months later.

I have seen the workaround suggested to manually input dates and duration on the first 2 tasks and then drag that down to autofill the date fields in all subsequent tasks, and this has helped, but obviously it needs repeating every time a current task gets rescheduled.

I hope that makes sense, it seems a simple thing to be able to do to me, so I hope this is possible.

Thanks

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

You want to do this without workflow? Because we use workflow to do this. But our method does not create the tasks up front. it creates each subsequent task when the previous task is completed. It works by copying the completed row out of the sheet, adding the date interval to the completed task's "done date," and then copying the row back into the main sheet with the new due date.

But if you want to do it more like you describe, it seems like you can just key the due date off of the "done date" of the previous task. So if a task gets done early or late, the following task's due date changes.

• Thank James Keuning, but this wouldn't work for me because I'm using tasks on a project plan to plan out the whole project, so need all the tasks in one place, not wait to create a new task off the back of a completed one, if that makes sense. As the plan gets updated, it would help if those tasks could automatically get rescheduled as the project progresses and tasks might get delayed, but until then, I still need all the tasks created up front.

The rest of my team don't use Smartsheets, so I lose a lot of potential functionality as a result (hence "no workflow"!).

However, someone has resolved this for me with a very simple solution in answer to another query I posted, so I'll update my question for anyone else searching for a solution.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer help though.

• SOLUTION FOUND!

I don't seem to be able to edit my question, so am posting this here in case anyone else searches for the same query in the future.

Genevieve P. has answered this with a very simple solution that works for me, in response to a different post query I wrote:

"...you can add Lag or Lead time to a Predecessor relationship by adding the number of days to that Predecessor cell.

For example: 2FS + 7d

This says that the current row is dependent on row 2, in a "Finish to Start" type of relationship, but that it should start 7 days after the previous row has finished."

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!