Pulling reports for a weekly task report using prdecessors

How do I tell my report to not pull a task if the predecessor is not complete?

Currently I have it set up as any task that is due by a date that is not complete. How do I incorporate the predecessor to this report?

Answers

• Hi @Katie Aldrich

If you have standard Predecessors (without any Lag or Lead time, and with only one row number associated with your current task), then we can use a formula to bring in the Predecessor's current status into your Dependent row:

=IF(Predecessors@row = "", "", (INDEX(Status:Status, VALUE(Predecessors@row + ""))))

The INDEX Function finds the row number of the Predecessor (wrapped in a VALUE function to turn it into a number), and then it pulls back the Status in that row.

Now that you have the Predecessor Status in the current row, you can add a Filter in your Report that looks at this helper column and filters out any of them that are "not blank" and "not complete" as well.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Need more help? 👀 | Help and Learning Center

こんにちは (Konnichiwa), Hallo, Hola, Bonjour, Olá, Ciao! 👋 | Global Discussions

• @Genevieve P.

Hi, If I am using a report to pull tasks that are due within a time frame, can I ask it not to pull a task if the predecessor task is not complete?

Here is what I have so far:

The first filter group works exactly a it should.

I am trying to add the second filter group to be: if the predecessor task is not complete, don't pull the task.

• Hi @Katie Aldrich

Did you add in the helper column with the formula? Report evaluate rows on an individual basis, so it wont be able to look up another row in the Filter. You'll need to use a formula in order to bring that data from the predecessor into the current row, to then filter it out in your Report. Does that make sense?

Need more help? 👀 | Help and Learning Center

こんにちは (Konnichiwa), Hallo, Hola, Bonjour, Olá, Ciao! 👋 | Global Discussions

• Tana V
    Tana V ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P.

Thank you!! I have been looking for this and was about to give up! This works great!

If you come across anything that might work where there are multiple predecessors, would love to see that as well.

Thanks again!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!