How can I copy the value from a smartsheet summary?

I feel like I'm going crazy but I can't figure out how to copy a value in my clipboard from a smartsheet summary. There's no option in the dropdown and whenever I click into the field it tries to edit the equation.

Am I the only one that wants to do that? Is there a very easy way to do that that I'm not aware of?

I'm betting if I didn't have edit privileges then it might be possible but I do and it's driving me crazy.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @charlie_wt

It sounds like you're looking to copy a Summary field that contains a Formula - in this case, clicking the cell will go to edit the formula, as you've found, and you can copy the underlying data but not the display text that the formula outputs.

There currently isn't a way to only copy the display value from a Summary field with a formula (please submit your feature request to the Product team, here).

If it's a lot of data and you don't want to type it out, you could use a formula in the grid of the sheet to quickly bring that same content into a cell in the grid:

=[Summary Field]#

Then you can copy that cell. If this is then pasted outside of Smartsheet (e.g. a Word doc), this will then show the display value instead of the formula. (If it's pasted within Smartsheet, it will paste the formula again).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @charlie_wt

It sounds like you're looking to copy a Summary field that contains a Formula - in this case, clicking the cell will go to edit the formula, as you've found, and you can copy the underlying data but not the display text that the formula outputs.

There currently isn't a way to only copy the display value from a Summary field with a formula (please submit your feature request to the Product team, here).

If it's a lot of data and you don't want to type it out, you could use a formula in the grid of the sheet to quickly bring that same content into a cell in the grid:

=[Summary Field]#

Then you can copy that cell. If this is then pasted outside of Smartsheet (e.g. a Word doc), this will then show the display value instead of the formula. (If it's pasted within Smartsheet, it will paste the formula again).

Cheers,

Genevieve