Rows Reordered

Options

Our sheet is used as a chronological order of events. Often when others are working in the same sheet, everything gets set out of order. I know Smartsheets does not support autosorting outside of reports. However, it would help if I understood how this jumble begins!

When the sheet is set out of order there is no discernable order. Not chronological, not by any subject or column, not by anyone's special interest, not because of a new addition or subtraction, it is truly a random jumble of rows!

Does anyone else have this experience? If I could better understand the source of the problem I could better treat the issue.

I have watched our activity log and discussed the dreaded "Rows Reordered" and 9 times out of 10 the user just sorted the list chronologically to fix the jumble on their end! Somehow this jumbles it for everyone else.

Please help!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Thane Knutson

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• You could add an Auto-Number column, so you have the original order to get it back to that state.
    • Another option could be to use a Report instead.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thane Knutson
    Options

Smartsheet supports sorting. We are able to remove filters, re-sort by our chosen metric, then refilter for our view. It is not ideal during large meetings with lots of people collaborating to lose all organization but sorting is possible.

Reports do not support the functionality we want. Most notably hierarchy is not supported.

End of the day, the best solution would be to understand why this happens.

• marc4
    marc4 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have a number of sheets where we need to keep them sorted regardless of what the users do.

The solution of us was to use the API and have cron/batch jobs runs every hour to sort the sheets. The command is simple

curl --silent "https://api.smartsheet.com/2.0/sheets/$Sheet_ID/sort" -H "Authorization: Bearer $token" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"sortCriteria": [{"columnId": 3202273434199940, "direction": "ASCENDING"}]}'

It does require access to some system (mac, pc, linux) that you can set to run the jobs.

/marc