Can you copy cells in a workflow without their children (subtasks)?

Options

I created a workflow to copy certain rows into a new sheet when a value in that row is met. The issue I'm having is that I just want to copy any row (parent or child) that meets that criteria - if it is just the parent task, i don't want all the children to be copied as well. Is there a way to do this?

Best Answer

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MXS

I do not believe so. I tested it out and couldn't see how you'd do that. If you try to delete a parent row on any sheet, it will also delete the child rows. I believe SmartSheet looks at parent/child rows as all one row. Most actions will pertain to both the parent and the child.

You'll want to fill out an enhancement request to request different functionality to be added for parent-child rows. While you're at it, make sure to request a formula function for creating or un-creating parent/child row hierarchy. It's been needed for too long.

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MXS

I do not believe so. I tested it out and couldn't see how you'd do that. If you try to delete a parent row on any sheet, it will also delete the child rows. I believe SmartSheet looks at parent/child rows as all one row. Most actions will pertain to both the parent and the child.

You'll want to fill out an enhancement request to request different functionality to be added for parent-child rows. While you're at it, make sure to request a formula function for creating or un-creating parent/child row hierarchy. It's been needed for too long.

• MXS
    MXS ✭✭
    Options
  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @MXS

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Mike's excellent advice/answer.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• You could create a so-called Helper Sheet and use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets. When you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet (Helper sheet), and then you'd use that sheet that doesn't have any hierarchy to copy the row(s) instead.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!