Bulk Updates

Options

Hi,

I have multiple sheets that is getting data with formulas from one specific sheet that gets updated 3 times a week. I'm calling this sheet as the bulk update sheet. Since SmartSheet doesn't allow to import from excel on that particular sheet, let's say override the existing, all the time I need to copy paste all the cells from Excel to this sheet manually. And the problem is, sometimes, copy pasting is causing errors as some columns/cells on this excel have a lot of text in it separated with comma or etc. And sometimes it gives errors such as you cannot copy paste more 50 columns at one time even I don't copy paste that many columns. In this example it is just 31 columns and 240 rows. If I had the import and override option, it would have been much easier. Just import new file on the existing sheet and problem solved. Is there any way to achieve this?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Cemil Binlik

It sounds like the add-on application Data Shuttle would be ideal for your scenario. You can attach a document to a row in this sheet and it would either update or replace rows based on your configuration.

If your plan doesn't have access to Data Shuttle, then the way you're currently updating your sheet (copy/paste) is the way to update the current sheet. You could import the file first then move rows into this current sheet, but it would append the rows to the bottom instead of replacing any existing rows.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Cemil Binlik

It sounds like the add-on application Data Shuttle would be ideal for your scenario. You can attach a document to a row in this sheet and it would either update or replace rows based on your configuration.

If your plan doesn't have access to Data Shuttle, then the way you're currently updating your sheet (copy/paste) is the way to update the current sheet. You could import the file first then move rows into this current sheet, but it would append the rows to the bottom instead of replacing any existing rows.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!