Calendar app

Options
Preethy Jana
Preethy Jana ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

I have a calendar app built on top of a smartsheet. Currently, the calendar app displays all the rows in the smartsheet grid. Users are able to add new events into the calendar app. My question - Is it possible to have view only access to all users except the admins but still be able to add new events to the calendar? For example, if admin adds an event into the calendar, it should be displayed but no one else in the team has access to edit the event via the calendar app. I tried locking the row in the smartsheet grid but it didn't work as expected.

Thanks,

Preethy

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Preethy Jana,

What users can do with events within the Calendar app is determined by their access level to the source sheet rather than to the Calendar app itself. I.e you can restrict what people can do within the source sheet by limiting their access to this, for example, viewers in the source sheet will only have the ability to view and not edit this (See Sharing permission levels and tasks for an exhaustive table of what can be done by the different user permissions) and Overview: Share Sheets, Reports, and Dashboards if you need more information about sheet sharing in Smartsheet.

In addition, if you don't wish to share the source sheet with users that would only need to view the Calendar and not the source sheet, you may also add their email addresses or domains under the "Allow Emails/Domains" box instead of sharing the sheet with them - see Share or Publish the Calendar for further detail.

With this in mind, my recommendation would be to restrict the access to the source sheet to viewer only to all users who do not need to add events and keep it as Editor or Admin for those ones that would need to. Alternatively, if you wish, you may just share the source sheet with the Admins and add the rest of the users under the "Allow Emails/Domains" box, this way, they won't even have the ability to access the sheet.

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Preethy Jana,

What users can do with events within the Calendar app is determined by their access level to the source sheet rather than to the Calendar app itself. I.e you can restrict what people can do within the source sheet by limiting their access to this, for example, viewers in the source sheet will only have the ability to view and not edit this (See Sharing permission levels and tasks for an exhaustive table of what can be done by the different user permissions) and Overview: Share Sheets, Reports, and Dashboards if you need more information about sheet sharing in Smartsheet.

In addition, if you don't wish to share the source sheet with users that would only need to view the Calendar and not the source sheet, you may also add their email addresses or domains under the "Allow Emails/Domains" box instead of sharing the sheet with them - see Share or Publish the Calendar for further detail.

With this in mind, my recommendation would be to restrict the access to the source sheet to viewer only to all users who do not need to add events and keep it as Editor or Admin for those ones that would need to. Alternatively, if you wish, you may just share the source sheet with the Admins and add the rest of the users under the "Allow Emails/Domains" box, this way, they won't even have the ability to access the sheet.

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• Preethy Jana
    Options

Hi @Julio S. ,

Thanks a lot. This definitely helps for sure. I may need to use a Smartsheet form to get the event data from different users and populate it to the source sheet which in turn will update the calendar app. The users are both internal and external to the organization. I don't want a unrelated user editing any information on the calendar.

Thanks,

Preethy

• Ian W Swanwick
    Options

You could embed the Calendar in a Dashboard, disable the 'Add' button, and then add a widget to a source sheet webform. The 'Add' button in the calendar view doesn't provide many options but a web form gives you more control over the data entry and allows for some clarification text to be included with the prompts.

Hope this helps!