Can I import a functional Excel sheet with drop down data

Options

I currently have a sheet that utilized drop downs in EXCEL. I choose a cell, the drop down has data, I pick the data from the from down list and it populates the cell and a formula in the cell additionally populates another cell with a value.

Can an imported excel sheet work in this way? Would I have to rewrite the sheet in Smartsheet to do this?

(FYI - I import .mpp MS project files into Smartsheet and they function almost identically to MS Project software)

Best Answer

• PaulDrago
    PaulDrago
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK Thank you Andrée Starå.

That response really helps. 3 follow-up questions if you have time:

Since these will be individual forms that will be filled out by other Smartsheet members of my portfolio,

1. Can this blank sheet be filled out and then put into a folder within a unique file name?
    2. Where might I find help area to build a drop down in Smartsheet? You, I'm sure, are familiar with data in a defined group of cells that will be elicited as a drop down arrow appears allowing me to choose a value which is then inserted in the cell.
    3. Additional, Can I extract the data to send to another application?

Again, Thank you for your feedback.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @PaulDrago

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd have to recreate the Dropdown list, but some formulas get transferred, but far from all.

My suggestion would be to test and see how it works.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• PaulDrago
    PaulDrago
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK Thank you Andrée Starå.

That response really helps. 3 follow-up questions if you have time:

Since these will be individual forms that will be filled out by other Smartsheet members of my portfolio,

1. Can this blank sheet be filled out and then put into a folder within a unique file name?
    2. Where might I find help area to build a drop down in Smartsheet? You, I'm sure, are familiar with data in a defined group of cells that will be elicited as a drop down arrow appears allowing me to choose a value which is then inserted in the cell.
    3. Additional, Can I extract the data to send to another application?

Again, Thank you for your feedback.