For Free users, what is the difference between having an editor and an admin permission level?

Answers

• I have a free account, and asked to be upgraded to an admin level from a editor level. It was updated, but I still can't do much as an admin. How is it different from an editor?

• Meg Y
    Meg Y ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If a free user is shared to a sheet as an Admin, they won't be able to create and manage forms on the sheet or insert, rename, delete, hide/unhide, move or change the properties of columns. These features are only available to the sheet owner and licensed users with Admin sharing permissions.

Meg Young
    mmyoungconsulting@gmail.com

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Thank you for your response - the options were yes and no, so that answered most of my question - just wondered, for a free user - how is an admin level different from edit level? I understand there are limits as you described above - I don't understand what admins can do in addition to editors.

• Meg Y
    Meg Y ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jmahon11 A user with a Sheet Admin permission have the ability to do more with rows and columns, create form and workflows, and much more. The link below will take you to the Smartsheet article on sharing permissions. I hope this helps. Meg

https://help.smartsheet.com/sharing-permission-levels

Meg Young
    mmyoungconsulting@gmail.com

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Steve@VHL
    Steve@VHL ✭✭✭

Based on the table in the link that Meg presented, I am still confused about exactly what a Free User with Admin privileges can do. The screenshot below from that table specifies what each role can do. The asterisk at the end of the third item = "Available to licensed users only." So my assumption is that a Free User with Admin permission can 'Insert rows', but not 'Edit cells in locked columns or rows.' Can someone confirm that?

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Yes, confirmed! You've got it. 🙂

If your Admin is a Free User, then that turns any rows with the * into "X" instead of a checkmark as those features are only available if the user has a License.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hello,

I have a business plan and have a license, but one of my colleagues whom is a free editor would like to explore and download a few templates. Can free editors access and download templates to use?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Katrina_27

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, they can't because when you download a template, you create sheets and other assets, and you have to have a license to do that.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Katrina_27

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.