Unable to select data range for a dashboard chart

In the Training it instructs you to select the data you need for your chart from a report. I am not able to do this - does anyone know why?

Training:

What i see: (Data greyed out)

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 06/06/22 Answer ✓

Hi @helpaccount

You can use either cells in a Sheet or an entire Report as the source for your Chart Widget.

In the first image, the selection is made out of specific cells in a Sheet. In your screen capture, i can see that this is a Report type of Smartsheet item. See the sentence at the top which says this "will be charted in its entirety".

Reports are really useful as a Source because as new rows are added to the Report, this will automatically update your Chart. However you'll need to use the Filter in the Report to ensure that only the rows you want in the Chart are in the Source. Let me know if this makes sense or if I can help clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 06/06/22 Answer ✓

Hi @helpaccount

You can use either cells in a Sheet or an entire Report as the source for your Chart Widget.

In the first image, the selection is made out of specific cells in a Sheet. In your screen capture, i can see that this is a Report type of Smartsheet item. See the sentence at the top which says this "will be charted in its entirety".

Reports are really useful as a Source because as new rows are added to the Report, this will automatically update your Chart. However you'll need to use the Filter in the Report to ensure that only the rows you want in the Chart are in the Source. Let me know if this makes sense or if I can help clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now