Why can't I have a formula in %% complete when dependencies are enabled?

I just spent a very long time figuring out how to make the %% complete column auto populate based on the dates. I was proud of my work until I had to 'enable dependencies' so that I could have predecessors.

Surely it cannot be that uncommon for people to need both. My investors get reports where the 100% complete column is very important to them. My contractors need the "next step" dates to change when shipments have been delayed or there are project delays. On a large master sheet - doing either manually is a major pain the butt. Does anyone know why I cannot have the %% complete auto populate while also having dependecies?

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@P Devine To make sure I understand, you want the percent complete column to change to 100% as soon as the end date passes? And to change to other intermediate values based strictly on the difference between start and end dates?

You could add a column - call it Percent of Schedule maybe - that showed that calculation, just don't use the columns the tool uses and reserves for the technical project management function.

dm

• Thank you, that helped :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!