Organizing data to display in a Dashboard Widget

I am working in a Dashboard trying to get a Bar Chart Widget to display data from a report the way I want it arranged and not in Ascending or Descending. I want the data to show in a non-alphabetical arrangement.

I'm working with these items:

Initiation

Planning

Execution

Closeout

Problem is they will not show on the widget bar chart this way. It always defaults to alphabetical.

Is there a way to manually set the arrangement?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael Hutcheson

You mention you're using a Report, are you using the Group and Summary features? If so, the Grouping will automatically alphabetize your values, which is why you're seeing them appear that way in the Chart.

There currently isn't a way to manually adjust the order of Charts from within the Dashboard, it takes the order from the source data. (Please submit your feature request through this form, here.)

You could add numbers to your items to make sure they appear in the right order in the Report, for example:

1 - Initiation

2 - Planning

3 - Execution

4 - Closeout

I hope that helps,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael Hutcheson

You mention you're using a Report, are you using the Group and Summary features? If so, the Grouping will automatically alphabetize your values, which is why you're seeing them appear that way in the Chart.

There currently isn't a way to manually adjust the order of Charts from within the Dashboard, it takes the order from the source data. (Please submit your feature request through this form, here.)

You could add numbers to your items to make sure they appear in the right order in the Report, for example:

1 - Initiation

2 - Planning

3 - Execution

4 - Closeout

I hope that helps,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thank you for your help. I have submitted a request to add this feature.

Mike