Automated Document Generation and DocuSign mapping is here!

Jason DelValle
Jason DelValle Employee
edited 06/20/22 in Product Announcements

Hi Community, 

Smartsheet customers can now accelerate their processes by automating the creation of documents and DocuSign mapping within Smartsheet. With this new workflow action for document generation and DocuSign mapping, process owners can reduce manual steps for their team when generating invoices, purchase orders, project plans, agreements and more.

The workflow action for document generation is available for licensed sheet owners and admins on Business and up plans, while automated DocuSign mapping is available for Enterprise plans. 

Get started here

You can also stay informed by subscribing to receive release notes for curated news of recently released product capabilities and enhancements for the platform of your choosing, delivered to your inbox. As new releases occur, you will receive a daily email with news of what's released. (Emails will only be sent daily, Monday-Friday, as new releases are available).

Comments

• markkrebs
    markkrebs ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love this! One enhancement for document mapping would be that when a sheet is copied you wouldn't have to remap the PDF fields.

• Thanks for the feedback @markkrebs! I highly recommend adding that enhancement request to our Smartsheet Product Feedback & Ideas page https://community.smartsheet.com/categories/smartsheet-product-feedback-%26-ideas

• Great news - thanks for the update

• Hi Jason, We have followed the automation and document mapping guidelines but are consistently seeing an error in the automation block. However, when we edit the automation, there's nothing that appears out of order. The mapped document is just a fillable PDF, not a docusign workflow. We are able to successfully manually generate a document with that mapped pdf. Is there a permissions consideration we are missing?

ock

• Jason DelValle
    Jason DelValle Employee
    edited 08/09/22

Hi @Yanina Kupava, if a mapping becomes invalid, e.g., due to a column on the sheet being deleted which had been mapped, automated workflows leveraging the mapping will no longer run. This will also trigger emails to be sent to sheet admins, alerting them that the workflow cannot run. To correct this issue, update the mapping by removing the deleted column or choosing another column. Then, open the workflow manager, click the kebab menu next to any workflows which reference that mapping, and click Activate.

If your workflow is repeatedly being disabled, then we suggest running the workflow manually through the Document Builder UI to troubleshoot there.

If neither of these approaches solves the issue, I recommend reaching out to support to troubleshoot further.

I hope this helps!

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great enhancement. Now if only I could send just that document to contacts in a specific cell without sending links to the sheet.

Marlana Kalinowski

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• WinaHath
    WinaHath ✭✭✭✭

I get this error message

To generate documents, please select 100 rows or fewer on the sheet.

What to do?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 06/09/23

Hi @WinaHath

You can batch-create documents by selecting multiple rows, however there is a maximum of 100 rows that can be selected to generate documents at one time. If you're getting this error, try selecting fewer rows, such as 50.

Here's more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• MMiles
    MMiles ✭✭✭

@WinaHath@Genevieve P.

I was not aware of this feature. Thank you for sharing.

@WinaHath

My solution not knowing you could batch generate documents.

I created a column in my sheet with a checkbox and used a trigger in the workflow that generates the documents based on when that box is checked. To generate multiple documents all at once I would copy the check down all the rows I want to batch. With this process you can batch create up to 500 documents, Smartsheets copy/paste limit, in the same amount of time.

I also create a second column that I use as the file name when mapping my documents. This column contains a formula that will concatenate data in my sheet to create the file name. If I need to use different documents for different rows I would add conditions in my workflow that would do that for me.

This may be a workaround to your issue.