Creating multiple workflow alerts based on different criterias

MMiles
MMiles ✭✭✭
edited 06/22/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a request update and 4 alert someone based on a certain criteria all in the same workflow, example of alert someone below. The request update workflow works by email address from columns in my Smartsheet, the 4 alert someone are set up by using a condition of looking at the Source Name (4 different ones in my file) and my telling it what specific person I want to alert that I have shared this Smartsheet with. The process seems to work for the first alert someone but it is not working for the rest. Is this not possible? I tried to use the otherwise but it does not give me an option to select a different condition.

I know a couple of work arounds that I can do instead, it's either me adding another column to manually update a contact user in each row of my Smartsheet or using a reference sheet. I was just wondering if this is possible or not first before I go to the other trouble of doing one of the two things I mentioned above. Thanks!

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi MMiles

It appears ( I cannot see the details ) that you have the other conditions falling under the first condition and alert.

These will only be met if they also meet the first and any other condition above them. You can move them to the side so they are independent of the other conditions. To do this, click on the "+" above the condition and add a new conditional path. That will create another condition path to use so they do not fall under the first condition.

I can help more if that doesn't explain everything.

Thank you,

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• MMiles
    MMiles ✭✭✭

Kevin,

I found what you are talking about but this leads me to my next question. Reading up on conditional path it will start at the leftmost condition and if it passes it will not move to the next path, if it fails it will move right to the next conditional path and so on. My workflow is built with a request update that starts the whole workflow, this needs to pass before I alert someone. So will my alert someone fail because the request update passes?

• MMiles
    MMiles ✭✭✭

Disregard, I figured this out. I was trying to create the conditional path at the wrong position in the workflow.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @MMiles

I hope you're well and safe!

Glad you got it working!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.