What are some best practices in organizing Workspaces, folders, sheets, etc...?

Options
Sjlovato
Sjlovato ✭✭
edited 06/23/22 in Show & Tell

I'm looking for some suggestions on how best to manage my departments SmartSheets. We have between 30 and 45 users so there is a lot of workspaces, folders, sheets, etc... that I need to be aware of. I'm looking for any ideas on how to organize everything.

What would work great, but doesn't seem to be available is either nested workspaces or the ability to set access permission on individual folders. I have considered having all uses add me to their SmartSheet items, but it looks really messy and disorganized with the few users that have added me so far.

So what I'm looking for right now is to learn how others may be dealing with this situation.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sjlovato

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend using Workspaces as much as possible together with the Groups feature.

To give a better answer I would need to know more about your company and structure.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sjlovato
    Options

Hello Andrée,

Thank you for you suggestion. I'll look into the Groups feature and see if that will work.

Our structure right now is as one department out of many in a university wide license. So for many things we have to go through our SmartSheet admin. We just really want to manage our SmartSheet items better and be more aware of everything we have out there so we don't lose anything as employees join or leave the organization.

Have a good weekend,

Steven

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sjlovato

Excellent!

Happy to help!

I think the Groups feature would be beneficial for your structure, as well as policies for when employees leave and similar.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sjlovato
    Options

Hello Andrée,

I now have access to Groups, but I'm wondering how to utilize the functionality. I searched for more information, but haven't found much information besides this article on setting up and managing a group.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2481892-admin-center-manage-and-use-smartsheet-contact-groups

Do you have an insight on how we would use Groups and Workspaces to get better organized?

What I'm envisioning is a small group of admins that would have access to everything created by our department and then individual team groups with access to their items. I'm not sure if groups will work that way or not though.

Thanks for your help,

Steven