Why is the text in my PDF coming across as dots on Mobile App?

Options

Good Morning and thanks in advance for any answers,

This issue came up recently with one of my coworkers who was using the mobile app to view attached PDFs. On my end, via computer, I see the below image.

However, on the mobile end, both my device and his device, we see this, where all the letters and numbers were converted to dots. Zooming in just brings the dots into focus.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this occurred? I have no real idea of where to begin as it has never happened before, despite viewing PDFs far larger and more complicated.

Thank you,

Leith

Best Answer

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

One possibility is that the Font Type used in that PDF is a proprietary font that is not available on your mobile platform(s).

If prior, similar CAD-PDF drawings had no issues, then it's possible that your PDF-conversion program/app did not embed (or had problems embedding) that Font Type into the PDF file,.

Answers

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

One possibility is that the Font Type used in that PDF is a proprietary font that is not available on your mobile platform(s).

If prior, similar CAD-PDF drawings had no issues, then it's possible that your PDF-conversion program/app did not embed (or had problems embedding) that Font Type into the PDF file,.

• Leith
    Leith ✭✭
    Options

@Toufong Vang

Good Morning and thank you for responding. If that is the case, there isn't much I can do about it as we receive the PDFs more or less locked down. However, with that in mind, I tried using downloading the file and viewing it in an app dedicated to PDF viewing. I was able to read it, although the text font was goofy, which makes me think you are correct in assuming the PDF text font is the culprit.

Thanks for answering,

Leith