Gantt chart without specific start date, as for a proposal

Is it possible to not have a specific start date in a Gantt chart, and have all other tasks stated as days/weeks/months from this nonspecific date?

I'm assembling a proposal, and don't know the start date, but do know the relative duration of all subsequent tasks and WBS elements. I would like to express only the durations as they are relative to this unspecified start date.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Dennis M Wierzbicki
    Dennis M Wierzbicki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Parvy thanks. I ended up just picking a start date, then showing the WBS elements, with the "Duration" shown beside the respective WBS timelines. Not exactly what I wanted, but it will work.

Since this is a proposal, we don't know the start date, but the customer wants a project timeline.

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

That´s a very good question actually.

I think as long as it is some date, the dependencies should find it easy to tag along on the gantt. If you know the month, you can probably just take the 1st day of it as the first task and then add days & months. May be it is also conformed by the fact that in project settings (top right cog wheel), it says start date needs to be a start or a specific date and not a month or week.

Hope this helps.

• Dennis M Wierzbicki
    Dennis M Wierzbicki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Parvy thanks. I ended up just picking a start date, then showing the WBS elements, with the "Duration" shown beside the respective WBS timelines. Not exactly what I wanted, but it will work.

Since this is a proposal, we don't know the start date, but the customer wants a project timeline.