Reference the top row everytime when new Form data in inputed

Options

Hello. I am trying to reference the top row's information everytime a new entry/data is inputed into the sheet.

For context, when new data is captured in the form and input into the sheet, I want to be able to use a 'Countif' function to count all the '1s' (yeses) in the top row in the Sheet Summary.

Here is the formula that I'm using that is not working:

=COUNTIF([Are the evaporator coils clean? (1=yes 0=no)]$1:[Electrical components functional? (1=yes 0=no)]$1, "1") / (21)

When a new entry from the form is captured and input into the sheet, it changes the '$1' to '$2'.

Is there a way to always reference the first row's data when new data is input into the sheet...?!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try inserting an auto-number type column with no special formatting. Then you can use:

=COUNTIFS([Are the evaporator coils clean? (1=yes 0=no)]:[Electrical components functional? (1=yes 0=no)], "1", [Auto-Number]:[Auto-Number], @cell = MAX([Auto-Number]@row)

• vaughnP
    vaughnP ✭✭
    Options

I have an autonumber column called 'Inspection#'. I entered the 'Inspection#' in where 'Auto-Number' was listed. I'm getting the #UNPARSEABLE error message. Below is fx I'm using:

=COUNTIFS([Are the evaporator coils clean? (1=yes 0=no)]:[Electrical components functional? (1=yes 0=no)], "1", [Inspection#]:[Inspection#], @cell = MAX([Inspection#]@row)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Double check the columns names to ensure they are spelled correctly including spacing.

Are you able to provide a screenshot of the formula actually in the sheet itself?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Y'all

I was doing something similar a short while back and ran into the same error. I found it was caused by the multiple column range. I never figured out why - I was in a hurry for a solution. I added a helper column and did my COUNTIFS across the row as a column formula. =COUNTIFS([Column1]@row:[Column at End of range]@row, 1) *remember you don't typically put numbers in quotes.

Then, my real formula became (using your equivalent to [Row ID]

=VALUE(JOIN(COLLECT([helper countifs column]:[helper countifs column], [Inspection#]:[Inspection#], @cell = MAX([Inspection#]:[Inspection#]))))

Hope it helps - or at least helps to produce a 'prettier' solution.

Kelly

• vaughnP
    vaughnP ✭✭
    Options

Kelly-

Can you elaborate on the 'helper' column..? I have an 'Inspection# column that is autogenerates the RowID. Is this the 'helper' column in which you are referring..? I've also included a quick snapshot of the first few attributes in the sheet for reference. This fxn is for the Sheet Summary data

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey

The helper column is collecting your COUNTIFS for the row. You can shove this column to the right and hide it if you prefer

=COUNTIFS([Column1]@row:[Column at End of range]@row, 1)

Then use this helper column to collect the data you want.

=VALUE(JOIN(COLLECT([helper countifs column]:[helper countifs column], [Inspection#]:[Inspection#], @cell = MAX([Inspection#]:[Inspection#]))))

I was hoping someone would have a 'prettier' solution that didn't need the helper column but I couldn't get it to work without one. 😉 But 'working' is always a good thing.

Kelly

I was surprised, just like you, when I tried an approach almost identical to yours and it wouldn't work - at least in the time frame I had to get it working.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!