How do I create a workflow to record a date in the future?

I have created a workflow that will record a date once a request has been approved. However, now I need to create a workflow that will document a review date 1 year from the approval date. I can select the record a date option, but it will be the current date not 1 year from that date. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.😀

Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings,

If you are trying to create a date 1 year in the future based on an approval date, I'm guessing you already have a column on your sheet for review date, correct?

If so, I would use a formula to calculate the review date in the column and not need a workflow. The formula would calculate the date 1 year in the future based on the request approved date. Using the column formula option would populate the formula to the entire column.

An example: =IFERROR(WORKDAY([Request Approved]@row, # of days in the future, holiday list if available), " ")

The formula will create a date in the future based on working days (excludes Saturday and Sunday). If you have a list of other holidays you can use that list in the formula.

Based on a start date of today there are aprox. 250 working days until next year. Your days may vary but wanted to provide a starting point.

I hope this helps.

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• mrebottini
    mrebottini ✭✭✭

@Frank Smith Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will try it out now!

• mrebottini
    mrebottini ✭✭✭

@Frank Smith Hi! I just entered the following formula and received an error (#UNPARSEABLE). The approved date is automatically saved in the CEO APPROVAL DATE column. Do you notice anything wrong? Thank you.

=IFERROR(WORKDAY([CEO APPROVAL DATE]@row, # of days in the future, holiday list if available), " ")

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try this:

=IFERROR(WORKDAY([CEO APPROVAL DATE]@row, 250), " ")

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• mrebottini
    mrebottini ✭✭✭

@Frank Smith Thank you so much. It worked!! 🎉

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!