Row Hight Change

TaliRXM
TaliRXM ✭✭✭
edited 08/01/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I saw old communication about this topic and that last was from 2019: "the row height can not be changed directly, but you can trick it by changing the font size (to a certain degree) in a column you aren't really using (and then hide it)".

I created an additional column, choose a row increased the font size in the new column cell, then hid it. But when hidden the row height went back to its original size.

Thanks!

Column created and font increased to 32 shows a wide cell height:

Column is hidden (although on font 32) back to narrow:

Answers

• Hi @TaliRXM

You're correct; a hidden column won't affect the row height of visible columns at this time.

I would suggest keeping that column on the very far right and have it be the minimum width for a column. If you've applied the font format to the entire column, this should appear as a blank column on the right, almost like a side bar.

You could lock it and change the colour so it looks like a border:

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. : Thank you!

It works nicely on the Sheet and on the Report. It doesn't change on the Report Widget on Dashboard.

The row height remained narrow (at 12 size, although the additional column cell is at 20+ font size.

Also, why to lock the column?

Best,

TaliN

• Hi @TaliRXM

I'm glad it mostly works for you! The reason I would suggest locking the column is just in case anyone clicks on it and accidentally types information in the cells. Locking it keeps it from being overwritten. 🙂

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Digikiwam
    Digikiwam ✭✭✭

A very basic feature and it is sorely lacking in SmartSheet. It seems, looking at blogs, that Smartsheet just doesn't listen to their customers either. There are quite a few blogs on this subject. We removed a complex formula from a sheet and are now stuck with large rows in the smartsheet with blank cells and there is nothing we can do to reduce it's size. Very frustrating.