Sort by Sheet Summary fields in Row Report

Hello,

I am curious whether there is a means by which I can use a Sheet Summary field to group and/or sort rows in a Row Report. For example, I want to give a group of sheets a "Priority" field (1, 2, 3, etc.) and then in a Row Report, be able to sort rows by the priority number associated with the sheet where the rows are contained.

Is there a means by which I could accomplish this or, if not, some other simple workaround to achieve this? I wanted to avoid having a priority number in each row so that if I want to re-prioritize my sheets, I could do so quickly without having to change each row.

Thanks!

Answers

• MedaUser
    MedaUser ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, there is not a way in my experience. Although a sheet and sheet summary exist in the same area, they are treated as if they are separate sheets when pulling them to reports (row report = sheet vs. sheet summary report = sheet summary "sheet").

To accomplish what you desire, you'll have to go the route you are trying to avoid, BUT if you need to mass update that column at any point, then you can do that. For instance, if you want all 1s to be updated to 2s, then you can highlight the Priority column and Ctrl+F, which will enable you to find and replace all 1s with 2s.

Hope this helps!

• KylerW
    KylerW ✭✭

Thanks for the input. I did not expect it to be as easy as I wanted.

What I ended up with was to make Sheet Summary fields for the priorities as I indicated, then I added a column in my sheets with a column formula to set them equal to the priority number on the sheet. Then I was able to group and sort in my Row Report by priority number, yet I am still able to change these relatively easily. I made a second Sheet Summary Report with the priority numbers so I can mass change as needed. Somewhat clunky but workable for the time being.

Thanks again!