The link out arrows have disappeared?!

Options

I have two SmartSheets in use. One for my engineering team, and one for my construction team. I have hundreds of cells linking in and out of both sheets to one another. For some reason the cells which are sending the data (Linked Out) are not showing the little black/grey arrow within the cell, but the cells which are receiving the data (Linking In) do have the little blue arrows.

The data is still flowing between the sheets, but I really like having the black/grey arrows so to my teams eyes it's very easy to know what data is automated so they don't try and edit the cell.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a customer who asked about the same phenomenon. She said the gray arrow mark for the outbound link in the source cell is hidden.

I have not been able to reproduce this phenomenon myself.

• Paola
    Options

+1 on this issue. I am also having issues with outbound arrows not showing as well as cell reference arrows. It's difficult to know were my references are going. It is really odd because my sheets are not considered "large".

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    Options

I did some experiments for my customer and found that Smartsheet seems to have limits of outbound link information a sheet keeps, namely 1000. This limit also applies to the grey cell link-out arrows.

This limit does not mean outbound links more than 1000 do not work.

I do not know if this is a bug or if Smartsheet can lift this limit. But, for the time being, I will advise my customer to limit the number of outbound cell links to 1000 if the customer needs to access all the grey cell link arrows.

FYI, there was a mention of an outbound cell limit of 25 million in the past. I think the cell links themselves of that much could still be valid though the source sheet does not have outbound cell link information exceeding 1000 as far as I experimented.

Outbound Cell Limit? — Smartsheet Community

The experiments:

Create a source sheet and target sheets

1. Source sheet with 500 rows containing text/number column and date column.
    2. Create three target sheets with the same structure.

Create cell linking and check the cell link arrows.

1. Create 500 text/number cell links from the source sheet to target sheet No.1
    2. Create 500 text/number cell links from the source sheet to target sheet No.2
    3. Result: Up to this point, namely the 1000 links, the source sheet has 1000 cell link out arrows, having two cell link out arrows for each 500 text/number cells.
    4. Create 500 text/number cell links from the source sheet to target sheet No.3
    5. Result: The source sheet does not have cell link arrows for the third target sheet. (the first image.)
    6. Create 500 dates cell links from the source sheet to target sheet No.1
    7. Result: The source sheet does not show cell link arrows in the second date column for target Sheet No.1.
    8. Still, the cell links themselves are working. (the second image.)

Use Smartsheet API to count the number of "linksOutToCells" data on the source sheet.

1. API can access cell link-out information in a sheet following this object structure.
    2. Sheet > Rows > a Row > Cells > a Cell > LinksOutToCells 
    3. An Example of LinksOutToCells information (->Below)
    4. In this example, the source sheet has two links to cells from this particular cell.
    5. Count the number of total outbound links on the source sheet.
    6. The result shows that the source sheet has only 1000 links, despite 2000 working links.

source sheet: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=e176b317c5a34bdfb6ad0ac9229cec6c

target sheet No.1: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=971fb432503c4532967ee6c71f1e78b2

target sheet No.3: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=eeb541d5ff694b9fb3370257c16f0680

• LHanson11
    Options

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I submitted a help request a couple weeks ago, and someone called me back a few days later, left a voicemail with no return number and crickets since then.

This is really affecting our ability to work in Smartsheet because we keep having to toggle between a parent sheet and a dozen child sheets for various vendors and clients just to check if cells are linked/data is flowing.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    Options

Regarding the issue of the Cell-Link-Out information cap of 1000, we tested today and found Smartsheet has changed the cap to 2000. 

Update on Outbound Cell Link Indicators — Smartsheet Community

• Adam Lang
    Adam Lang Employee
    Options

Hey all -

I wanted to provide a quick update on cell link indicators. The outbound indicators have increased from 2,000 to 40,000. You can use more than 40,000 links, but you will not see more than 40,000 indicators. A missing indicator does not mean your link is inactive. To check your links, verify the data at the destination.

The product team continues to work hard to get the limit back to 100,000.

For more information on cell linking please visit the help article below.

https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/level-2-intermediate-users/cell-linking

Thank you for your patience. 

Adam