New Taskbar Color for New Project

Options
longlive289s
longlive289s ✭✭✭
edited 08/24/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello All,

I recently having been building up smartsheet for our agency and I had a questions about the taskbar colors.

Right now I have a template that will be used for all new projects. The taskbar defaults to the light blue color.

When coworkers use this template, I'd like the default color to be randomized so all projects have different colors without everyone having to manually change the colors.

Is their a conditionally formatting + workflow automation that might be able to get this accomplished so I have a calendar that is a bit more readable such as below? The below result was just manually recoloring each project.

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use Conditional Formatting to set a color based on the value in a cell, but not to randomize the colors unfortunately. It's a fixed color per formatting rule. You could use a contact field to use different colors for different people though...maybe have every project that George is managing be in dark blue, Wanda in orange, etc. Or some other value that you preset (big projects in red, small in green, etc) that has enough variation to help with the visuals.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can use Conditional Formatting to set a color based on the value in a cell, but not to randomize the colors unfortunately. It's a fixed color per formatting rule. You could use a contact field to use different colors for different people though...maybe have every project that George is managing be in dark blue, Wanda in orange, etc. Or some other value that you preset (big projects in red, small in green, etc) that has enough variation to help with the visuals.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• longlive289s
    Options

Thanks for the input Brian.

Sucks it cant be randomized but I think doing a color per contact might work for us.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @longlive289s

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Brian's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• I think it could be set up with some clever automation in the same or another sheet. In short, registering each project somehow and adding a number for each, or something similar.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.