Conditional Linking

Options

Hi Guys,

Have delved a bit into linking sheets and writing functions etc. in the past but I am starting to get out of my depth - Is there a way to intersperse the two, so something like:

If X then LINK

So IF Sheet1, column X is ticked, then LINK the contents of those rows in Sheet 1 to Sheet 2

=IF(sheet1columA), "1", LINK (Linked sheet colum A - column G) ?

The only alternative I can think of is a 'waterfall' of helper sheets

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks,

JR

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @JRZ

Yes, this is possible! 🙂

There are a couple of ways to do this depending on your sheet set up. The easiest thing to do would be to build a Report off of your first sheet. This would then Filter by that checkbox column, so it only brings in rows that have a checked box. Rows in Reports automatically update as the source sheet updates, and you can make changes directly to (most) cells which will then update the underlying sheet. Here's a free Webinar on Reports: SmartStart: Reporting

If you need to use a formula in a second sheet instead, you would need to have a unique identifier across both sheets that a formula can use to match the rows. Then I would suggest building an INDEX(COLLECT type of formula in the second sheet. The COLLECT function can filter through your Sheet 1 rows to only find ones that are checked. See: Formula combinations for cross sheet references

Let me know if either of this will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• JRZ
    Options

Thanks Genevieve,

I have tried the reporting option but fell over when I try to expand sheet 2 to different (increased) functionality.

I will try the INDEX/COLLECT approach and let you know.

Many thanks

JR

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!