How to update past dropdown list responses with updated dropdown values?

Hi and thanks in advance for any help.

Is there a way to update dropdown values so that the previously captured responses within your sheet reflect the new values?

I'm finding that if I update a dropdown list value, for example list value "Open-Project", to simple read "Open" then my sheet and form automatically show both as drop down options going forward.

• "Open-Project"
  • "Open"

But what I actually want to happen, is for all previously recorded instances of "Open-Project" to simply change to just "Open" within my sheet, and for 'Open' to be the updated list option that appears in the list and forms going forward.

At the moment the only way i can see to do this is to manually one by one change the past responses in the sheet (which could potentially be thousands of instances in the future), select again the new updated list item ("Open"), and then go back into the column properties to delete the redundant list item now that no rows utilize the old list value.

Is there a smarter way to manage this challenge? as lists and options evolve or change overtime this can make updating sheets very complicated.

Thanks all

AA

Answers

• You should be able to highlight the column, hit Ctrl+F to find "Open-Project" and then replace them all with "Open".

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AndyAlb72

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you have access to the Premium App, Data Shuttle, or/and Data Mesh?

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Jessica Levine

You are correct. Yes i could do that. It is quite a cumbersome action though, particularly when using a form in a Pilot context where predefined vales to capture complex data are changing and evolving often. During the piloting of my forms within my business, user feedback and evolution of the challenge it solves for have seen numerous fine adjustments to values over time, making the Ctrl-find and replace method a painful workflow 🤷‍♂️.

Thanks for your quick support response.

Appreciated

• Hi @Andrée Starå

I believe i do have access under our business licence to the Premium App, Data Shuttle, or/and Data Mesh?

Is there any specific functionality you are aware off within these tools that you believe may solve for my challenge?

Thanks

Andy