What function do I use to capture the highest risk rating

Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a riks register that includes a column for a rating eg critical, high, medium or low.

I want to surface to another sheet/report/dashboard a summary of all risks in the risk register as 'Risk health'. My thinking is that this woudl be the highest rating of al in the register.

What function would I use to determine from a column of rating such as those listed above what the highest is?

Alternatively the Risk health could the 'average' rating but (a) views on relevance and (b) what function to use are sought.

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Phil Wightman You don't describe how you are displaying risk in the first place (a numerical rank? a word? coloured bubbles?)

The best function is somewhat dependent on that, but for many you should be able to use MAX() to find the maximum value in that column. If you combine it with another function like COLLECT() you should be able to select rows based on another criterion (e.g. status)

dm

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Dale Murphy and good point.

Lets say I am using the red, amber, green, grey bubbles to rate risks.

What function would I used in a metric sheet to show the highest (red) rating in the column in the source sheet (risk register).

• Hi @Phil Wightman

What I would do in this instance is create a Report. You can Group it by the bubbles, and then apply a Summary (count) of how many there are in each group.

If you want to see the "top" issue you would need either a Date or a Number to be able to determine the "highest". For example, you could Sort the Report by Date to see the oldest date, or you could Sort the Report by a numerical column to make sure the order of the rows is in the rank you would like.

You could also filter the Report if you don't need to see any other rows, other than your Red rows.

If we've misunderstood how you're ranking your values, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your source sheet, but please block out sensitive data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now