Can I save the settings for an update request?

Phil Wightman
Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a sheet with many columns

When I send an update request most of the columns dont apply (they are for later in the process).

This means I have to edit the uodae request and untick the columns I do not want to send.

Is there a way to save the settings (unticked columns) for subsequent update requests from the same sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Phil Wightman

I hope you're well and safe!

You could add one or multiple automated Update Requests with specific settings and then trigger them by using a dropdown list, checkbox columns, or something else.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Phil Wightman
    Phil Wightman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • Wilen FL
    Wilen FL ✭✭✭✭

@Phil Wightman

To my understanding of the software, that feature is currently not available via the 'Update Requests' option on the right menu or the 'Create an update' under the 'i' column at the beginning of every row.

However, I believe @Andrée Starå is suggesting creating a 'Request an update' workflow will give you the desired results.

As an example, add 2 columns and 3 workflows.

Columns

1. Enter Date (Column Type: Date)
    2. Quote ID (Column Type: Text/Number)

Workflows (screenshots included in reverse order (3,2,1))

1. Create a 'Record a date' workflow {Enter Date} that populates the 'Enter Date' field, 'When rows are added'.
    2. Create a 'Request for Update' workflow {Quote ID Request} that is triggered, 'When rows are added'.
      1. This flow emails the recipient with the specific fields (i.e. Quote ID).
    3. Duplicate the 2nd workflow {Quote ID Request Follow-up} and change the trigger to, 'When a date is reached' based on the 'Date field' (Enter Date). Run once, '1 week after' with a condition the 'Quote ID' field is blank.
      1. Keep the email subject line the same as workflow 2 {Quote ID Request} so that the recipient has an email chain.
      2. Keep the same fields as workflow 2.
      3. You could add text to the body text to differentiate the two emails.