Can I use DataShuttle to consolidate data?

Options
AntonioRayo
AntonioRayo ✭✭
edited 10/13/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I have many files that are formatted the same, but contain different data. I would like to use DataShuttle to consolidate the data into a single Smartsheet spreadsheet via an Upload Workflow. I simply want the data from each uploaded file to be added to the target sheet. Is this possible?

Here is the process that I am currently using.. it is not ideal..

Target -> Workflow Action: Merge data into the target based on a key column value

Target -> Row options: Add rows to the sheet as they are added to the source file

This method enables me to populate the target sheet with data from each file upload. However, it forces me to include a Row ID in each individual data file. I would like to avoid having to include a Row ID or any other unique identifier in my data files if possible.

Any suggestions?

Tags:

Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AntonioRayo

Hi Antonio, Yes! It's a perfect use case for it. Just make sure your spreadsheets have the same column headers to make it easy on yourself.

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• AntonioRayo
    Options

Thanks for your reply, Ryan.

Could you please share information on how to setup a workflow to simply add data to a sheet when a file is uploaded in the same format?

Here is the process that I am currently using.. it is not ideal..

Target -> Workflow Action: Merge data into the target based on a key column value

Target -> Row options: Add rows to the sheet as they are added to the source file

This method enables me to populate the target sheet with data from each file upload. However, it forces me to include a Row ID in each individual data file. I would like to avoid having to include a Row ID or any other unique identifier in my data files if possible.

Any suggestions?

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I set mine to upload on attachment. So just upload your excel sheet (I'm guessing?) as an attachment to the first row in your sheet. Then build your Data Shuttle steps (using the screenshots below). Then delete your attachment on the first row and reattach it (that will start the Data Shuttle process). Then attach your next spreadsheet, and your next, etc.

Try those settings.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Ryan

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AntonioRayo Hi Antonio, just following up. Did that work for you?

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!