CHAR(10) not adding internal break

Hi,

There's probably a simple answer but when I use CHAR(10) in a cell formula in a form, it results in a space (probably a non printable character) instead of a break.

The formula I am using is:

=JOIN(COLLECT(Column1:Column1, Column2:Column2, "Responsible"), CHAR(10))

Even if I use:

="Apples" + CHAR(10) + "Oranges"

I just get "Apples Oranges" with no line return.

I'm using a Mac and Chrome.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @stockdam

I hope you're well and safe!

Ensure that you've activated the Wrap feature.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée, I'm having the same issue as @stockdam even with the wrap feature activated on the column.

It was working properly just a few days ago, but now it's not breaking the line within the cell anymore. ☹️

I'm using this formula (similar in the Vessel ETA column):

=JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - Assembly BOM]@row)) + CHAR(10) + JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - O&M BOM]@row)) + CHAR(10) + JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - Deployment BOM]@row)) + CHAR(10)

And this is how it's showing in the cell.

• IPC
    IPC ✭✭✭✭

Dear @Andrée Starå ,

Good evening. I'm having the same problem and I saw this discussion. However, i can see in the discussion that the formula didn't resolve their issue. Same thing for me.

Here's the formula: =JOIN(COLLECT(Names:Names, RACI:RACI, "Responsible"), CHAR(10))

And below is the result:

WRAP option is enabled:

Here's how it looks like when WRAP is not enabled:

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

IPC

• KLZolali
    KLZolali ✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/23

@IPC Don't forget to put a + in front of your CHAR(10), and it looks like you also need to add a delimiter to tell Smartsheet how to separate your data - try something like this:

=JOIN(COLLECT(Names:Names, RACI:RACI, "Responsible"), ", " + CHAR(10))

• KLZolali
    KLZolali ✭✭✭

@Bruno Menezes It looks like you might be having a similar issue to IPC. Make sure you put a delimiter in for your Join/Collect and also include your + CHAR(10) inside of the parenthesis:

=JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - Assembly BOM]@row), ", " + CHAR(10)) + JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - O&M BOM]@row), ", " + CHAR(10)) + JOIN(COLLECT({Logistics Tracker | Vessel ETD}, {Logistics Tracker | PO Line ID}, [PO Line ID - Deployment BOM]@row),", " + CHAR(10))

• IPC
    IPC ✭✭✭✭

Yes @Bruno Menezes. @KLZolali advise worked on my sheet. Thanks to you @KLZolali

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@IPC

I missed you tagging me.

I saw that it had been answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• IPC
    IPC ✭✭✭✭

No worries @Andrée Starå I got it working through @KLZolali. Thanks a lot

• CAS the CSA
    CAS the CSA ✭✭✭

I'm still having a similar but different issue…

char(10) is adding two returns and " " is adding a char(10) instead of a space

this used to work when we started using SS, now it's losing functionality.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!