Help with Join/Collect and Has and Not/Has formula

Options

Hello,

I'm stumped on this formula and need assistance please! I am trying to populate Courses to Approve -Dean column based on the choice in the PC or Chair Approval Column. It works until I get to the "Some Courses Denied" choice in the PC or Chair Approval Column - which then is supposed to be taking the courses listed in the All Courses Requested column and removing the courses listed in the Courses Declined - PC or Chair column and placing the result in the Courses to Approve- Dean column.

This is the formula I have so far (please note that {Course Name} references another sheet where I have joined the Subj/No with the Course Title into one field and used that column as the range (Course Name) - which results in the full course name i.e. ACC:100 Applied Accounting.

IFERROR(IF([PC or Chair Approval]@row="All Courses Denied", "ALL COURSES DENIED", IF[PC or Chair]@row="", [All Courses Requested]@row, IF(AND([PC or Chair]@row<>"", [PC or Chair Approval]@row="All Courses Approved"), [All Courses Requested]@row, IF([PC or Chair]@row="Some Courses Denied", JOIN(COLLECT({Course Name}, {Course Name}, HAS([All Courses Requested]@row, @cell), {Course Name}, NOT(HAS([Courses Declined – PC or Chair]@row, @cell))), CHAR(10)))))), "")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tags:

Answers

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Renita Luck

Your formula above seems to be missing a parentheses, see bolded below:

IFERROR(IF([PC or Chair Approval]@row="All Courses Denied", "ALL COURSES DENIED", IF([PC or Chair]@row="", [All Courses Requested]@row, IF(AND([PC or Chair]@row<>"", [PC or Chair Approval]@row="All Courses Approved"), [All Courses Requested]@row, IF([PC or Chair]@row="Some Courses Denied", JOIN(COLLECT({Course Name}, {Course Name}, HAS([All Courses Requested]@row, @cell), {Course Name}, NOT(HAS([Courses Declined – PC or Chair]@row, @cell))), CHAR(10)))))), "")

Is there something else that is an issue?

• Renita Luck
    Renita Luck ✭✭✭
    Options

I was so excited that the missing parenthesis would fix it... unfortunately, I'm still getting the #UNPARSEABLE error message - any other ideas?

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are all the references named properly?

Are there any errors in the referenced cells?

• Renita Luck
    Renita Luck ✭✭✭
    Options

I selected the cells to ensure the references were named properly in the formula and the referenced cells are drop down selects where I copy/pasted the choices to avoid errors in spelling; so should not be any errors there.

The "All Courses Requested" column uses a join formula - but it is working perfectly and it is just a simple join.

I'm just honestly stumped. I've been looking at this and redoing the formula from scratch for several days now trying to figure out what I have missed.

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

HAS([All Courses Requested]@row, @cell)

HAS(@cell, [All Courses Requested]@row)

?

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Renita Luck

Try copying and pasting the formula as written above

• Renita Luck
    Renita Luck ✭✭✭
    Options

So, I'm back and hoping for more help. I'm using the formula below with the same scenario above - and it works in all aspects - except it will not remove the Courses Declined PC or Chair information using the Not/HAS the way it is in the formula - any suggestions?

=IFERROR(IF([PC or Chair Approval]@row = "All Courses Denied", "ALL COURSES DENIED", IF([PC or Chair Approval]@row = "", [All Courses Requested]@row, IF(AND([PC or Chair Approval]@row <> "", [PC or Chair Approval]@row = "All Courses Approved"), [All Courses Requested]@row, IF([PC or Chair Approval]@row <> "", JOIN(COLLECT({Course Name}, {Course Name}, HAS([All Courses Requested]@row, @cell), {Course Name}, NOT(HAS([Courses Declined - PC or Chair]@row, @cell))), CHAR(10)))))), "")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!