using VLOOKUP with Dates and Text

Options

I have two sheets, one which keeps track of dates and reminder dates which is maintained by team and looks like this:

and another sheet which drives a form where people pick dates (a copy of the dates in Long Date above).

The "target Appointment Date" is a drop-down value field i.e. TEXT.

In the field "reminder 1" i would like to do a lookup to the dates field above. I would like to lookup the drop-down value in "Targeted Appointment Date" and bring back the "Reminder 1" date (which is a date field on both sheets).

I know the problem is that the field i am trying to match is a text field, while the table has all date fields. How can i fix this without having the change the table to text.

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@L_123 I don't even remember what I worked on yesterday let alone a year ago. Hahaha. I'll take a shot though.

We have a date type column (stored on back end as mm/dd/yyyy) but displayed as the long date, and we need to match this to a text value that only looks like the long date. So what we need to do is figure out a way to convert one of those entries into the other data type.

I am thinking it will be easier to convert the date into a text value. We can do that either with a couple of nested IFs (ugly) or with a reference table (preferred).

I would have the reference table set up like this:

Then we can string together some INDEX functions like so:

=INDEX({Day}, WEEKDAY([Long Date]@row)) + ", " + INDEX({Month}, MONTH([Long Date]@row)) + " " + DAY([Long Date]@row) + ", " + YEAR([Long Date]@row)

This should give you a text string that mimics the Long Date, and since it is a text value, it should be able to match when referenced by the dropdown column value.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!