how do I put created date column values from Excel into Smartsheet column type created date column?

I have imported an excel sheet into Smartsheet.

After importing the data, Smartsheet set the column type for that created date column to be 'Date'

But when I changed column type to created date then all values in the column vanished and then today's date and default set time e.g 11/09/22 8:16 AM appeared for all values in that column.

Is there a way that Smartsheet column type created date column can have the old, created date data from excel as the data already exists because new data will be added via form!

Furthermore, I also cannot change the date format for the column type created date!

Please Help!

Best Answer

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Saad

No. You'll have to use a column called Created Date and just have it set to a date type. Then you'll need to create an automation for when a new row is added to add a date to your Created Date column.

I agree that this isn't the best way to go about this so I'd suggest submitting an Enhancement Request to SmartSheet to see if they can add a feature to the Import Excel File sheet creation that would take any column in the Excel file called Created Date and feed those dates into the system generated Created Date column type. While you're at it, suggest that they allow the Created Date column to have it's date formatting changed because currently they do not allow that.

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Saad

No. You'll have to use a column called Created Date and just have it set to a date type. Then you'll need to create an automation for when a new row is added to add a date to your Created Date column.

I agree that this isn't the best way to go about this so I'd suggest submitting an Enhancement Request to SmartSheet to see if they can add a feature to the Import Excel File sheet creation that would take any column in the Excel file called Created Date and feed those dates into the system generated Created Date column type. While you're at it, suggest that they allow the Created Date column to have it's date formatting changed because currently they do not allow that.