When are more advanced customization features coming for graphs in Dashboards?

I just realized I cannot customize the x or y axis to show more custom increments or even time series (in day by day format). I am sure this is a common request and use case and am wondering when new features might be coming to the Dashboard graphs.

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 11/15/22

Hi @miikerom

You can set up charts to have the x-axis associated with a date.

In my source sheet, I have one column with the dates in the order I want, or a time frame by using a text/number column. Then the other columns have the numbers I want to display:

That way I can have the text as the x-axis, spelling out the month and day:

But you could just use a Date column as well:

If this doesn't describe the charts you're looking for, please feel free to let the Product team know what you would like to see by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. Screen captures and examples would be really helpful. This will then allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Additionally, if you have an Enterprise plan and you're looking for more time-series graphs, you may want to check out the Work Insights area of your sheet as well.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• This helps, thank you! I have counts for records on specific dates and when I try to plot as is the x-axis only shows the dates I have in the records table. Without manipulation I was hoping I could specify a min and max time series on the z-axis similar to excel and jmp etc. But this seems to be a work around too.

• Hi @miikerom

Ah, thank you for clarifying! Yes in this instance you're correct - charts cannot auto-fill details between what you currently have in your sheet (e.g. days between dates on an x-axis). You'll need to set up a helper sheet that identifies every day that you want to chart and link over the data in the other columns.

• Thank you! I guess my question for Smartsheet is when any added capabilities are coming for the dashboarding and charting? Some of this stuff should not require helper columns and these work arounds.

• Hi @miikerom

I don't have a roadmap or ETA on when updates to Charts will happen in the future; if there's a specific feature you'd like to see (such as the date auto-filling), please feel free to vote on Ideas or create a new Idea in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic.

You can also subscribe to the Product Release Notes page to receive notifications with new releases.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks for the link on the updates! I was really just interested in knowing new product functionality releases including any roadmaps if available. I have already submitted several requests but was wondering when new features are coming so I can plan better on using other solutions or integrations.