Flashing dates with new predecessor

I'm updating my project plan with a predecessor and some of the dates are flashing, it stops if I remove the predecessor. Why is this happening?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Karen Bruer

I've seen this happen before when using certain browser extensions, for example "Caffeine" (simulating keypresses) or a mouse driver. Can you try using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue?

If a different browser (without extensions) doesn't flash, then I would suggest turning off all extensions, then turning them on one at a time to see which one may be causing the flashing. See this Help Article for more information: Troubleshoot issues caused by browser extensions

Should a browser extension be triggering this, but you don't want to turn it off, I've heard that ensuring all tasks in the sheet have dates associated with the row before adding predecessors may help as well.

Let us know what works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Karen Bruer

I've seen this happen before when using certain browser extensions, for example "Caffeine" (simulating keypresses) or a mouse driver. Can you try using a different browser to see if that resolves the issue?

If a different browser (without extensions) doesn't flash, then I would suggest turning off all extensions, then turning them on one at a time to see which one may be causing the flashing. See this Help Article for more information: Troubleshoot issues caused by browser extensions

Should a browser extension be triggering this, but you don't want to turn it off, I've heard that ensuring all tasks in the sheet have dates associated with the row before adding predecessors may help as well.

Let us know what works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Karen Bruer
    Karen Bruer ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. In the end I saved the sheet as New, and the problem went away. Interestingly enough, the original sheet came from one of the Smartsheet Templates (so I should probably raise that issue to Smartsheet).

Thanks for your help, what you said above made sense.

• Hey @Karen Bruer

Thanks for following up! Would you mind telling me what template you used? I'll see if I can replicate the behaviour 🙂

In any case, I'm glad creating a copy resolved the issue!

• Karen Bruer
    Karen Bruer ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the template was the Office Move Checklist. I decided to not use the format, it was very confusing for someone who isn't a project manager.