Which Fields are imported from MS Project?

Whackersd
Whackersd
edited 12/19/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello - Can someone please enlighten me as to exactly which fields are imported from MS Project into SmartSheet?

As far as I can tell, the (non-custom) following fields get automatically imported:

-Task Name

-% Complete

-Duration

-Start (to "Start Date')

-Finish (to "End Date")

-Predecessors

-Resource Names (to "Assigned To")

-Notes (to "Comments")

-Work

After that, it looks like SOME custom fields do get imported, but definitely not all and I cannot understand what's going on behind the scenes which results in the following issues:

-as previously mentioned, not all custom fields are imported

-since I cannot import baseline costs, I created a custom text field in project to capture the values in the Cost column, but this does not import

-I created two custom date fields in MS Project (Start1 & Finish1) to capture the start/finish dates from MS Project since I cannot import baselines, but these fields do not import

Other Issues:

-Outline Levels are completely screwed up; Random task rows are completely misplaced in the plan

Please help... I cannot even find a detailed explanation anywhere online that shows an advance user like myself how the import works... Is there a max # of fields that can be imported? Why can't I import cost data even through a custom text field? Why can't I get start/finish dates to import eve through a custom text field? How is it possible that I have 0-day milestone subtasks in MS Project that are somehow transformed into PARENT tasks in SmartSheet??

Thanks,

-WH

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @Whackersd,

Although the article does mention that certain features such as constraints aren't supported, as you are pointing out, the existing documentation about how MS Projects are imported in Smartsheet is currently limited. 

When you have a moment, please submit your feature request to the Product team about expanding on the available documentation by signing in to the online Community (the Community uses your Smartsheet account to sign in) and create an Idea post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic

Posting your enhancement in the Community will allow other Smartsheet users to see and vote on your idea! The top-voted posts in this category are reviewed monthly by the Product team and you'll receive an email notification if a status changes for a post you've created or voted on. 

For the time being, if you haven't tried already, you may try saving the .mpp file as an .xml and test if the information at least can be passed in-between platforms. Note, however, that some re-formatting might be required after the import has occurred.

If you'd need further assistance to import your documents, you may want to open a ticket with our Support team via this form or accessing the new Customer Support Portal. If you'd decide to follow this path, please make sure include as many comprehensive information (e.g a copy of the project to import) in your ticket.

Cheers!

Julio