Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automating Dependencies Between Tasks

Brian Davis
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I am using Smartsheet for as an event planning checklist. I have enabled the dependencies and predecessors features. I have also created a status column with the following four options each each task in the Smartsheet (Task not applicable, Not started, In progress, Complete).

When a task is marked as not applicable, I would like for the dependencies to automatically adjust to the next viable task. Is this possible?

Example:

Review Catering BEO with Event Client

Review Catering BEO with Director (which is dependent on the above task being completed)

Review Catering BEO with Vice Chancellor (which is dependent on the above task being complete)

Since I am the Director, I do not need to do this task and would then mark this task as not applicable for this event. How do I then automate the Review with Vice Chancellor to be dependent on the Review with Event Client?

Comments

• Hi Brian,

There isn't a way to automate dependencies based on conditions (such as changing a dropdown list value). You'll need to manually adjust dependencies as needed.

When you have a moment, submit your idea and use case to our Product team directly with the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

This discussion has been closed.