Check a box when a list of names containing duplicate names contains the first occurance of a name

Options

I am looking for a checkbox formula or another callout that will look at a list of project names and return a flag or check or another identification of the first occurance of each project name in the list. I am trying to get an accurate count of the number of jobs in that list. The list is small at this point, only 2 project names but will grow. I have entered auto number and duplicate callout columns, but am drawing a blank on where to go from there to get just the first occurance to check.

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @lrmerlino88886

Checking my understanding to make sure I'm giving you the formula you're looking for - you are expecting only 2 checkmarks in your dataset since you currently only have 2 separate projects. If I understood incorrectly, let me know.

Try this

=IF(COUNTIFS([Project Name]:[Project Name], [Project Name]@row, Auto:Auto, @cell<=Auto@row)=1, 1)

This should work as long as you are not rearranging the rows once they are created. If you do need to rearrange the rows then another helper column will be needed.

Will this work for you?

Kelly

• lrmerlino88886
    Options

Maybe, I will be able to check it out today and see if it works. Rows will not be rearranged once entered, however there may be more in the future. Only 2 at this point and time.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!