Importing all columns from MS Project

I have an MSP plan that contains financial information. When I import in to Smartsheet it does not import these columns. I have tried exporting to xml then importing but get the same issue. Is there a simple way to import all columns from an MSP file into Smartsheet? Am I missing something?

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @RayB,

As the article goes, certain features such as constraints aren't supported. We recently had a similar post that you may find helpful for some proven records of MS Project fields that can and can't be mapped with Smartsheet Columns.

Similarly as what I advised to Whackersd, you may want to make a post with your feedback by signing in to the online Community (the Community uses your Smartsheet account to sign in) and create an Idea post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic so that the documentation about this can be expanded. 

Posting your enhancement in the Community will allow other Smartsheet users to see and vote on your idea! The top-voted posts in this category are reviewed monthly by the Product team and you'll receive an email notification if a status changes for a post you've created or voted on. 

If you struggle to work with supported columns, you may also open a ticket with our Support team via this form or accessing the new Customer Support Portal.

I hope that this information can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• RayB
    RayB ✭✭

Hi Julio

I've followed your links and read the information - it is not very clear. The information states 20,000 rows- 400 columns then gives specific constraints concerning Trello and Excel but nothing for MS Project. Why isn't there information on this 'page' concerning MS Project like there is for excel and trello? Simple to do yet has the potential to save so much wasted user time trying to get something you know doesn't work, to work.

Import Files to Create New Sheets | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @RayB,

I do agree that the information about MS Projects importing is currently very limited and that is why I suggested creating an Idea post so that your feedback can be heard.

Without looking at your particular case it's difficult to know for sure, but considering @Whackersd post it could be a matter of which type of MS Project fields you are trying to import rather than the total amount of Rows and Columns. Note that, although there isn't a specific section as in the case of Excel or Trello, there is a tip note advising that "Microsoft Project has some features, such as constraints, that are not supported in Smartsheet" which could potentially also be a cause.

Again, if you continue experiencing difficulties to import your data and can't figure out what might be going wrong, my best suggestion would be to open a Support ticket.

Cheers!

Julio

• RayB
    RayB ✭✭

Appreciate your comments Julio but its the aspect that now I don't know what to trust in Smartsheet as it might not work as I would expect. The app has an import capability for MS Project and Smartsheet talk openly about it as a benefit so you would expect that as it is released it would work, or there would be clear information on the specific limitations. Not importing all columns from MS Project is pretty specific and limiting. When you find an application does not work as you would expect from the company literature it destroys trust in the application and the company.