Cell range and Sheet Summary

Options

I have an expense 'tracker'. Essentially it tracks if employees submitted their expenses

(1) correct the first time;

(2) expense was sent back for revision;

(3) submitted late

(4) did not submit

My columns across top are months of the year. My rows are employee names.

I have a sheet summary that totals (1), (2), (3) and (4). I would LOVE to have a field in the Summary that specifies the range (as each month the range changes) and then set up each of the 4 summary fields to reference the field where the range is. This way I only have to come in once a month and update the Summary field containing the range. However, I've not been able to figure this out.

Perhaps this isn't possible?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately what you are wanting to accomplish isn't quite possible.

You could insert a bunch of helper columns (can be hidden after setting up) that have the totals in the top rows and then INDEX the entire group of hidden columns referencing a column number in a Summary field, but that isn't very flexible and requires you to keep those top few rows a the top.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What are the formulas you are currently using?

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Paul Newcome

I have 'symbols' that correlate to the options. So basically the formula in the Sheet Summary fields are;

=COUNTIF([23 Jan]:[23 Jan], "🔵").

Next month the range will be [23 Feb]:[23 Feb] and following month will be [23 Mar]:[23 Mar]

Instead of editing the 4 Sheet Summary fields I would love to have 1 Sheet Summary field that I edit monthly and then the other Sheet Summary fields reference it.

Does that make sense?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately what you are wanting to accomplish isn't quite possible.

You could insert a bunch of helper columns (can be hidden after setting up) that have the totals in the top rows and then INDEX the entire group of hidden columns referencing a column number in a Summary field, but that isn't very flexible and requires you to keep those top few rows a the top.

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome

You gave me an idea! I don't necessarily need the data in the Summary Sheet section. I already have a cell at the top that I send out an automated update request to change the current monthly submission date. I can use this space that's already being partially used for 'count' rollups of the different categories. I think this will work well. I'll work on it later today.

Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!