Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Cross-project Date Dependencies

CLGolden
CLGolden
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi, 

The Help page on Cell Linking says ( in the first paragraph ) that it's possible to do 'cross-project date dependencies.'  Sounds like just what I need! But I can't figure out how. 

Does anyone know? I have several project with gantt sheets and I'd like to see how project dates are working together, or not. 

Thanks,

~ Christine

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

From what I read there is two interpretations:

1 - You need a Master Sheet that Displays KPRs from all projects so that you can wee how they are progressing aaginst eachother.

2 - You want to Link tasks in One Project to or fro another.

Regarding the first, it depends on what you want to see in the master. Here is a suggestion.  Create KPI Milestones in each project that you want to compare with other projects.

Link those tasks into the Master.  If the Columns are the same simply sellect the cells in the Sub project by clicking and dragging, copy.  Move to Master select first cell in row you want to put the KPI task Right Mouse ~ Paste special Link from coppied cells.

Repeat for all KPIs and All Projects.

Regarding the second option - create an external Milestone Linke out in the from project as a FF link to it predecessor.  Copy the Task, Move to the Recieving Project, insert a row where you want it and As above Paste special link from coppied cells.

Use this as the predicessor to drive the second projects task.

I hope this helps.

• Thank you so much for considering my question. 

Could you please tell me what "KPR" and "KPI" stands for?

I will get more clear about what I need to see in my Master.  

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

KPR is a typo. KPI = key performance indicators.

Key points within your projects that you want to measure or monitor.

This discussion has been closed.